Take the 2-minute tour ×
Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble with an audio file.

If you look over at this Ask Different question I submitted, you'll see I was having issues with getting a podcast to work in iTunes. I finally narrowed it down (I think). Everything seemed correct, but I finally tried a couple different MP3 files and submitted the podcast and it worked.

So, I'm wondering if the audio file my client gave me has issues.

When I go to "Get Info" for other MP3 files, it shows things like "Audio Channels", "Total Bit Rate", and stuff like that. The MP3 file I am using doesn't really show anything. All I know is it says it's "Kind: MP3 audio" and "64865838 bytes".

Any thoughts? I know pretty much nothing about audio, I'm a web developer lol. I can provide the audio file if anyone wants to download it and check it out. Thanks!

share|improve this question

migrated from avp.stackexchange.com Jan 24 at 12:01

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

    
If one of the answers below successfully solved your problem, would you consider marking one of them "accepted"? Thanks :) –  JoshP Nov 16 '12 at 14:18
add comment

2 Answers 2

Assuming that the mp3 still plays locally, one potential solution might be to re-encode the file. If the software that your client used did not encode the mp3 file with the meta information that iTunes requires, this discrepancy could be creating the problem. I would recommend using a program like this for re-encoding:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Audio-Converter.htm

share|improve this answer
    
Well, unfortunately, that doesn't work for Mac. Do you know of a Mac equivalent? I actually got it to work by importing it into GarageBand and exporting it from there. Guessing that it went through and encoded it correctly. Thanks for the feedback! –  ansarob Aug 17 '12 at 22:25
    
I'm glad that you got your file working! I should have asked if you were using Mac or Windows. –  Drakel Aug 21 '12 at 18:00
add comment

Okay, after a long period of troubleshooting, I determined it was the MP3 file that was having issues. After importing it into GarageBand and exporting it from there, it finally worked! I received the MP3 file from the client. He is a preacher and they recorded it at the church. Then he uploaded it to Google Drive and I downloaded it from there. It sounds like it was not encoded correctly, but I am not an audio expert.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.