Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I use these two or something else to generate waveform of sound and then use it as soft synth or generate soundfont?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 24 '14 at 12:01

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

SuperCollider is a softsynth. CSound has a soft synth as well as a scoring system.

You can also use CSound as a VST instrument or effect. I'm not aware of a VST wrapper for SuperCollider, but SC can respond to both MIDI and OSC data, so it shouldn't be too hard to hook up with your DAW.

share|improve this answer

You can certainly record the output of Csound or SuperCollider (or anything really) and load that up into your sampler of choice. If you specifically want to use the soundfont format, you'll need some kind of soundfont editor.

share|improve this answer

You could generate sounds in supercollider or CSound if you want. Using them as VST instruments is not exactly straightforward. I think that's easier done with CSound than with Supercollider. I do know that there is an audiounit for supercollider, in case you are on mac.

share|improve this answer

Yes, you can use Csound as a VST using Cabbage.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.