Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What software configuration or VST do you recommend for taking a realtime audio feed and "tune" it to a particular frequency (note)?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 24 '14 at 12:01

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

Antares invented the Auto-Tune, which is I think what you are asking for. They do a plug-in for Evo, but generally people use the full application.

It can gently or aggressively pitch shift an input note to the closest "correct" note.

This Wikipedia article gives some background, and some example audio clips.

share|improve this answer
Can you recommend a specific software or VST "receipe" to achieve the objective? – themirror Feb 5 '13 at 19:39
Yes - the one I linked to in my answer :-) – Rory Alsop Feb 5 '13 at 21:23

I would also suggest looking at Celemony's Melodyne. I haven't used Auto-Tune for a long time, but Melodyne killed it in the water for me. Notably, when Polyphonic tuning came in. They may be closer now than before. Research!

If you just need a rough match, a lot of DAWs and audio-in synth (FX etc.) have pitch transpose / adjustment. However, the two aforementioned plugins will allow you to tighten the fluctuations in pitch.

share|improve this answer

You do not say which DAW you are using, but as you mention VST if you are using Steinberg then for real-time operation there is a plug-in that comes with the DAW called PitchCorrect and for non-realtime you have the VeriAudio engine.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.