Ok, I know this is a question I alone can answer, but I have to admit I'm kind of at a loss.
The issue: I've been 'on the market' for about a year trying to decide on a 4 track recorder in the professional range. Whether it be, Sound devices, Zaxcom or, yes, Sonosax. I'll mainly be using it to record SFX and ambiences and videoshoots (mostly DSLR). I already own a nice selection of mic's and a SQN4 mixer and Sony PCM-D50.
Now I know that there is a golden rule, and I've said it heremyself: 'only buy gear when you think you will make money with it and can justify the expenses made'. Well, right now I'm at a certain point, that I can't really decide anymore. Here's why:
- I have the money and I've been looking around so long I can dream about the thing!
- There's no one paying me, at the moment, that will justify the expense.
- It's second hand, in great shape and affordable, it's a good price! (The introduction of the SD664/Zaxcom Max, drops second hand prices.)
- I love the unit and it's features, but it's not 'new and up to date'.
- There is a financial crisis and I'm honestly not sure how long it will take.. (But it hasn't yet affected my income in any way).
- I am going to China for a month and want a solid recorder to record the evolution of the chinese soundscape, whilst traveling.
At the very moment of writing this, I feel that I will definitely make up for the cost. I've bought gear before and never have I've been wrong, so maybe I should just go for it. But still... for the first time, something's itching...
So, suprise me, tell me the things I don't want to hear. If after that I still want to buy, it's really my decision and possibly my mistake. Devil's advocate, show yourself.
EDIT: Decided to buy, very happy, sounds amazing!