Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top


I live in Chicago and I've a broken headphone input on my H4N. It still works, but when trying to monitor, I have to fiddle with my headphones in order to get a signal. I called but they charge too much for labor and I don't have a soldering kit to fix it myself yet. Does anyone know a good place to get is fixed locally or somewhere dependable in the states?

share|improve this question
Dang, Good luck with that. – Stephen Saldanha Dec 9 '11 at 7:38
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I did that to my old H4. The headphone jacks on that one were mounted straight onto the circuit board, which was not accessible without destroying the device.

that's kind of the tradeoff with super compact recording devices. You may be out of luck.

share|improve this answer

I can't help with a place that will fix it, but if you do decide to try to fix it yourself here's a step by step guide for disassembling the H4N.

share|improve this answer

If you're handy with electrical repairs, you should be able to get to the PC board. Now the tricky part is to remove the old part, the headphone jack (you can call the company and they will give you a replacement jack). There are 6 soldering points. To remove the old one, you have to use a wick or vacuum to remove the solder from the 6 contact points. Once you do that, the new one goes in.

WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SOLDERING IRON? Do the removal of everything, then take the PC board and the new jack into a repair shop and they will do it for you for a minimal fee. Try a professional audio gear rental place (especially for musicians or productions or tv).

share|improve this answer

That doesn't seem all that impossible (ignore the red marking):

alt text

Why not invest in a soldering iron (with a small tip, and preferably temperature control) and DIY?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.